[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Feature Requests-1413772 ] use file associations on GNU/Linux

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 25 21:15:24 CET 2006

On Jan 25, 2006, at 2:04 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> SourceForge.net hat gesagt: // SourceForge.net wrote:
>> PDDP needs consistent file associations so that
>> [pddp_link] can be used to link to any file type within
>> a Pd patch.
>>
>> A generic method might be to use firefox/mozilla as the
>> open method.  GNOME and KDE have their own methods, and
>> these should be supported as well.
>
> I'm not sure I understand, for what this is needed, but the
> traditional way to do filetype/app-associations on Un*x-systems is to
> use the mime-type-handlers defined in /etc/mailcap and $HOME/.mailcap
>
> (I don't run Gnome or KDE and I would prefer if Pd would not open
> Mozilla-Windows for all files.)

Currently, Pd uses firefox or mozilla.  Windows has "rundll32
url.dll,FileProtocolHandler", Mac OS X has "open", both are command
line apps.  I can't think of a GNU/Linux equivalent, it would be good
to have instead of mozilla/firefox.

As for GNOME/KDE,  if GNOME or KDE is running, then Pd should use their
file association methods instead of the generic method.

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore