[PD-dev] Re: [PD] ASCSEQ

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jan 26 12:53:06 CET 2006

this email goes to the pd-list too...

> Im using [ascseq] to split textfiles into single characters, that are
> being used in GEM text3d. I have a so-so AFM loader which assembles  the
> characters with a somewhat accurate spacing. I have about 2000 of  these
> separate text3d objects that I use to assemble typographic  displays.
> You know, lots of floating letters in space that every now  and so often
> rearrange into legible lines of text - typewriter style.  I have
> bypassed the problem by removing/reshuffling certain  characters in the
> font - have replaced space with � - asterix. I end  up with scarily long
> single words. And it would be nice not having to  do that. The whole
> mechanism is very fragile and delays cause the  whole alignment to
> jumble up.

in your case (i expect you to have tons of text), i think it is really
better to use [ascseq] instead of generating long symbols with spaces in
between. (because of the symbol-table; however, benchmarking would be
interesting...)

> If the ascseq had a bang for every finished message it wouldnt be a
> problem.

you can get this behaviour via something like

[t b l]
|     |
(b2)  |
       [repack 1]

       [t b l]
       |     |
       |     [ascseq]
      (b1)   |
            (a)

the trick is to split the list into 1-atom messages with [repack 1]
you get a bang at (b1) each time [ascseq] has finished 1 atom
you get a bang at (b2) each time the whole list has been processed.

so with (b1) you can trigger a [32(
repack everything into a long list with [repack].

mfg.asd
IOhannes