[PD-dev] getting Pd's version within Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jan 28 16:14:52 CET 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 4:40 AM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>>> I am thinking it would be quite handy to be able to get the
>>> current version of Pd from in a patch.  This would probably take
>>> the form of a
>>>
>>> [version] object that returns the version when banged.  The output
>>> could look like this:
>
> i guess, you can write an external that does a gensym(pd_version) ...

pd_version is the string, I think we would want separate floats for
major, minor, and bugfix.

>> i would love that!
>> especially with things like [atan2] which make patches build with
>> older versions of pd totally useless...
>
> but maybe this is nothing that really requires an external ... maybe
> it's something, to be sent to the receive symbol 'pd', when it's
> banged ... (speaking in terms of programming languages, querying the
> state of the interpreter rather than a function call)

That sounds appropriate, but where do you get the return value?  I
thought about it a bit, and I couldn't think of an established method
to get return values from sending messages to pd.

> --
> mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
> http://www.mokabar.tk
>
> You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
>   John Coltrane

____

"I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits."
                                             - Martin Luther King, Jr.