[PD-dev] getting Pd's version within Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jan 28 17:35:44 CET 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 10:45 AM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>> That sounds appropriate, but where do you get the return value?  I
>> thought about it a bit, and I couldn't think of an established
>> method to get return values from sending messages to pd.
>
> what about:
> |;pd getversion(
>
> |r pd|
> |
> |route version|

Yes, that sounds good.  Is there currently anything that sends data to
[r pd]?

I think that a standard receive symbol would be a nice standard
interface to a lot of things, like querying the state of audio/midi
hardware, querying the meta information of a patch, setting/getting
canvas name, etc.

But if we are to use [r pd], then it would probably make sense to have
a standardized interface for getting info.  Maybe something like this:

[; pd get version(
[; pd get canvasname(
[; pd get path(
[; pd get namespace(