[PD-dev] [float infinity] and [float -infinity]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jan 28 18:51:53 CET 2006

You might notice, I am doing some math these days ;).  I just had
another idea for a handy thing when doing math: a method of getting the
smallest and largest possible numbers.  Basically, the Pd version of a
#define INFINITY 1e37 (or whatever it is).

I think it would be handy to have as part of [float], like this:

[float infinity] and [float -infinity]  (FLT_MAX and FLT_MIN)
or maybe:
[float max] and [float min]  (FLT_MAX and FLT_MIN)

Other float.h defines would also be handy to have access to:

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Floating-Point-
Parameters.html

Something like this:

[float max_exp] (FLT_MAX_EXP)
[float min_exp] (FLT_MIN_EXP)

And perhaps [int] could also have the relevant versions of the same
too.  I guess that would just be:

[int infinity] and [int -infinity]
or maybe:
[int max] and [int min]

I don't think I'll have time to code this any time soon, but I can put
it into feature requests...

____

this we should do freely and generously.
                                                   - Benjamin Franklin