[PD-dev] getting Pd's version within Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jan 28 23:28:37 CET 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>> Yes, that sounds good.  Is there currently anything that sends data
>> to [r pd]?
>
> i once added an api for controlling the audio settings by sending
> commands to 'pd' ...

yes, I saw that patch, I would be good to have that included.  I think
Miller had an issue that he posted on the patch tracker.  I think it
should be possible to get that issue resolved and that patch included
in Pd core.

>> I think that a standard receive symbol would be a nice standard
>> interface to a lot of things, like querying the state of audio/midi
>> hardware, querying the meta information of a patch, setting/getting
>> canvas name, etc.
>
> well, it would be possible to query the state of all global
> (interpreter) settings like audio settings, but i don't see, why it
> should be used to query information from patches ... one would need a
> |thiscanvas| or |thispatcher| object for that ... (or if it's for
> dynamic patching just use dyn~)

I am also talking about not-yet implemented features, like the
namespace for the patch which was recently discussed.  I think that
would work well with this kind of interface.  It could use the
[namecanvas] name and the patch receive symbol, i.e.:

[; pd-mypatch.pd editmode 1(

[r pd-mypatch.pd]

[route editmode]

[X]   <- (this would be a [tgl])

.hc

> tim
>
> --
> mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
> http://www.mokabar.tk
>
> Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
>   Confucius

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice, it
can change entire economies."
                                                     - Amy Smith