Restructuring of CVS/externals [was: Re: [PD-dev] moocow's libs]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Feb 2 00:31:05 CET 2006

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, especially with all of
the Pd-extended stuff I have been doing.  Here's what I am currently
thinking would be the best approach:

- new code like moocow gets added in the old-style developer directory.

- new libraries get defined, like math, net, buffer, mapping, io, etc.

- lead maintainers get chosen for each library (it could be more than
one person)

- the maintainers then design the library, including which objects
should be included, make a naming scheme, arguments, messages, etc.
For example, for a math lib, I think that all conversion objects should
have a "2" in the name (cart2pol, f2m, etc. instead of carttopol, ftom,
etc.  for messages, use [reset( everywhere instead of also sometimes
[clear(,

- then all additions, etc. go thru these maintainers.   What level of
control is up to the maintainer.  For me, its very important that a
library have a very coherent set of standards.  Other maintainers might
have different ideas (though I would encourage them to try to make
things as consistent as possible).

- old developer libraries will be kept for backwards compatibility

- meta data would be used for a class browser, a help browser, etc.
There could be many keywords or categories, and an object could be
included in many of these categories.

And to address some of Ben's ideas, I think that not having things
organized into libraries makes it impossible to have a full namespace
like Java.  Here is the wiki page I started to outline these ideas:

http://puredata.org/dev/PdLibraries

Ben's page is somewhat related, but I think that page is more related
to PDDP, then we could use it to start mapping out the meta data
categories that we want to use for the class/help browser.

.hc