[PD-dev] Re: Restructuring of CVS/externals

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Thu Feb 2 13:58:26 CET 2006

Hallo!

>> - lead maintainers get chosen for each library (it could be more than
>> one person)
>
> sounds ok, though - just for the archives - these libraries should be
> structured themselves into sub-libraries (via subdirs), which could be
> maintained by other people than the parent lib.
of course ...

> while having things like [pix_video] and [pdp_qt] in the same package
> (as in: sub-package of the stdlib) "graphics:pixel:input" makes some
> functional sense, it will only confuse people into trying to connect
> [pix_video] to [pdp_xv].
yes, I also think that Gem and pdp should have different parent-folders
(and also Gridflow) ...

>>> Symlinks possible from an external in one CVS directory?
>
> on w32?
this does not solve the problem of symlinks, but why not just make a
different folder for "pd-stdlib", e.g. CVS/pdlib
(well, pdlib is not a good name, ... but I have no other one now ... ;)

And something else, which is very important i think: the build system.
There should be a common build system, so that developers don't have to
write makefiles, configure-scripts etc. when they write an object for
this pd-stdlib ...
this means:
- the buildsystem should be able to compile externals with more then one
c file and also with h files ...
- should be able to handle dependencies to external C/C++-libraries
(e.g. libsndfile ...)
- also flext externals should be integrated in that system

Then it would be also easy to make packages of such a pd-stdlib ...

> anyhow, i (think i) agree with hans that there is some need for a stdlib
yes, I also think that this would really make much sense !

LG
Georg