[PD-dev] object with worker thread

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Feb 2 19:32:17 CET 2006

On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:06 AM, Georg Holzmann wrote:

> Hallo!
>
>> Are there any objects that currently work like this that I can use as
>>  examples?
> the objects in threadlib, or sndfiler

As far as I understand it, those are structured differently.  Don't
they spawn a thread when you give it an open command, and then object
waits for the thread to return, after which, that thread dies?

I am thinking of having one "worker" thread which listens for events
then calls the output function for each instance of [hid].  So there
would only be one worker thread per device, no matter how many
instances of [hid] were accessing that device.

____

"Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism."
                                     - retired U.S. Army general,
William Odom