[PD-dev] Re: Restructuring of CVS/externals

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Feb 2 21:08:16 CET 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> > as for designing the categories i think it would be best to stick to
> > existing layouts; probably the one from java (and not the one from perl)
>
> Java is a well defined example of a namespace, but I am not a fan of its
> C-ishness sometimes.  But yes, definitely not perl.

Strange. My experience has been that all external stuff in Java gets named
by the domain name of the author ("vendor"), like
org/eds/hans/mystuff/MyStuff.class rather than the Perl layout
SomeGeneralCategory/MyStuff/MyStuff.pm.

Which part of Java's namespacing are you thinking about and which part of
Perl's namespacing are you thinking about?

> ftom  (f-tom a strange atom?)  vs.     f2m (f-to-i, freq2midi would be better)

how is a midi note not a frequency? It should have been hertz to midi.
That's clear. The "2" can get in the way. E.g. you convert square meters
to square furlongs; in your convention that would be [m22furlong2].
"twenty-two" ?

wouldn't you want [midi_to_hz] to be clearer?

> But the standard distro should be clearly organized.  There is no
> java.misc, for example, (tho java.util is kind of misc-like).

java.util is exactly misc-like. Isn't every library a "utility" of some
kind anyway??