[PD-dev] $0 in messages, was: multiple $arg-expansion

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Feb 3 22:14:58 CET 2006

On Jan 26, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Indeed.  When I work with variable data sets, I generally try to stay
>> out of the realm of lists entirely, and use "undefined sets" and
>> [prepend].
>
> Since pd-0.39 I actually patch exactly the other way around:
> Everything gets converted to a list using [list] in the beginning,
> then I operate around, and in the end, there is a [list trim] if I
> want to get a selector-less list back, otherwise I use the resulting
> list-list and rely on Pd's automatic conversions of one-element lists
> to symbols or floats, because I practically always want symbols and
> floats if I get a one-element list-list.
>
> I don't use [prepend] anymore.

Since we are talking about definitions, I just want to point out that
AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "selector-less list".

- There are messages that have the type selector [list this is my
list(, [symbol mysymbol(, and [float 4(

- there are messages that imply the selector [1 2 3( and [5(,

- there are messages that have a selector that is not a type: [this
message is an undefined type(.  The selector is "my" in that case.  or
[undefined(, the selector is "undefined".

Just the fact that we can't even agree on a definition of the behavior
is a good indicator of its whackiness...

____

publicity.

                      - Bill Moyers