[PD-dev] $0 in messages, was: multiple $arg-expansion

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Feb 5 09:48:21 CET 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> i think that we are basically all agree on what we mean... however,
> matju tries to be exact when it comes to definitions. calling messages
> with an selector that is not defined as a standard a "undefined set" is
> not correct in a mathematical sense

It's not just making it mathematical. Think of how "undefined" relates to
"set". My guess, after a while of reading Hans on "undefined sets", is
that it's "undefined" in the sense of "it has a selector that is not one
of the five magic selectors of pd", and that doesn't even mean those that
are not defined internally in pd, because that would exclude "set",
"reset", and a few dozen others. That's a quite peculiar use of the word
"undefined", and not any of my first 242 guesses of what "undefined" might
mean in Pd.

> i think that we should get terms right if we want to define a consistent
> programming language.

and a consistent documentation...