[PD-dev] merging .pd files (was: $0 in messages)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Feb 5 18:19:21 CET 2006

On Feb 5, 2006, at 3:37 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>>>  * you forgot to handle the pointer case, which forms a triad with
>>> the
>>>    float and symbol cases.
>>
>> Please add it.
>
> BTW, if I change one of your helpfiles (or any .pd file in cvs), and
> your
> copy is changed locally, how do you resolve a conflict upon update?
>
> And because .pd files are considered as text files with line-oriented
> diffs, and because merging almost always break a patcher if changes
> happen
> in both copies of the patcher, how do people work with big patches in a
> CVS ?

Yeah, you should turn off automatic merging on .pd files.  I don't
remember how to do this tho...

> Shouldn't pd have its own diff/diff3/patch tool? How would it work?

That would be very nice, but quite difficult.  I wrote an extremely
simplified version of a pd-diff in /scripts/pd-diff.  One thing, there
should be a flag to change whether it shows position changes (i.e. #X
234 452) or not.  Most of the time you don't want to see that.

____

            "The arc of history bends towards justice."
                                            - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.