[PD-dev] CVS account submission

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Feb 6 17:41:22 CET 2006

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > [concat] is different from [list2symbol] because it doesn't need to be
> > initialized with a null symbol (!!) in order to concatenates atoms. If
> > you don't wnt it to be in the CVS, it doesn't have to, but I find this
> > name meaningful. It's just a way not to use [makefilename] for simply
> > concatening symbols.
>
> I think everything with a free license should go in CVS.  Whether it
> goes into distros or build systems is another question.  FYI: there is
> a [concat] here: externals/ggee/control/concat.c  but if you use
> Pd-extended, you can have objects with the same name since the
> namespace works.

Hi,

I do not think that it is good to write an external that does almost
the same as an already existing external, because this is very
confusing for the user (with or without namespaces).
I also think it is not good to write an external with the same
name as an already existing one but with slightly different
behaviour (with or without namespaces).

The right thing to do in this case would be to propose to extend
list2symbol or concat.

I have started the CVS, and I think the first page
called "Introduction" on http://pure-data.sourceforge.net/
explains the goals pretty well.

Now, almost 4 years after writing this it seems
that we haven't advanced a lot in achieving these goals.

I have removed concat from my directory, so you can upload yours.

Günter