[PD-dev] how math objects respond to a bang

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 8 10:55:27 CET 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2006, at 4:32 PM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:
>
>> since this is not needed it is not there for unops.
>

> [clip] has 3 inlets and [atan2] has 2 inlets, so they are not unary
> operations.  [clip] and [atan2] have their own classes, so that's easy.
>
> It just seems consistent to have them all respond to a bang.  Then you
> could get the last result easily without knowing when the last input
> was.  But I can live for now with the unary operations ignoring bang.
> I do need [clip] to respond to a bang tho.

i did not mention [atan2] and [clip] in my arguing for good reasons...

i agree that [clip] should respond to bang.
i am not that sure about [atan2]: personally i think that atan2 is a
unop (the values are just there for get all 4 quadrants) and the 2nd
inlet shouldn't be there at all.

as for getting the last result, why not use a [f] _after_ the object?
this way you don't have to retrigger the "costy" operation.

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes