[PD-dev] list math

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Feb 12 17:37:50 CET 2006

Hallo,
B. Bogart hat gesagt: // B. Bogart wrote:

> cyrille henry wrote:
>
> >i don't fear redondancy.
>
> Perhaps you don't but anyone who is learning PD should! Without
> consitancy and a lack of redundancy learning PD becomes a much more
> complex and confusing proposition.
>
> Wherever possible objects with the same functionality should be unified.

I agree that this should be a goal for externals and built-in objects,
however for abstractions I see it slightly different and I would
rather support Cyrille's view. Although I abandoned Perl years ago, I
may bring up the basic Perl philosophy axiom here: "There's more than
one way to do it." I see it as part of the artistic freedom Pd offers
to be able to do the same things in different ways - like it's part of
artistic freedom to write yet another pop song about a broken heart.

We even have different versions of Pd: msp, devel, desiredata and now
pd-extended. That's the way, the world is and thus it's the way,
software is. With the Linux-kernel it's even worse than in our tiny Pd
world.

Several of the [list]-abs are reimplementations of existing externals.
Still I see a place for them, if alone because they are not externals.

Ciao