[PD-dev] list math

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Feb 12 19:45:05 CET 2006

On Feb 11, 2006, at 1:40 PM, cyrille henry wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>> There are now a couple versions of math objects that do standard math
>>  operations on lists: Frank's list-abs and Cyrille's ds_/datastream.
>> I  think that there should be a standard set of math objects that can
>>  handle lists of indeterminate length (like the previously mentioned
>> objects).
>
> i don't fear redondancy. some mapping objects can be the same as some
> list-abs object.
> having a mapping_clip that whould clip data acording to the mapping
> standard is great, event if it's the same object as the list_clip 0 1.
> i don't think it's a problem to have 2 objects with same fonctionality
> with diferents name.
>
> i think the mapping lib should have all necessary object for mapping.
> the list-abs should have all necessary objects to deal with list.
> and it's not a problem if sometimes the same objects have 2 diferents
> name in both lib.

How about implementing all of the objects in math/list, then the
mapping versions would be based on them.  Sharing code is always
helpful.  So [mapping/clip] would just be:

[inlet]   [inlet]                 [inlet]
|         |                       |
|         [float_argument $1 0]   [float_argument $2 1]
[math/list/clip]

[outlet]

That would make it behave exactly like [math/list/clip] but have
defaults of 0 and 1.  People looking for [math/list/clip] functionality
would use [mapping/clip] interchangeably.  But some people might get
confused the other way around, if they use [math/list/clip], it would
clip to 0,0.  But that's not such a big deal.

.hc