[PD-dev] [relocate( message

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 13 02:46:23 CET 2006

On Feb 11, 2006, at 12:56 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Anyone know how to use the [relocate( message?  It seems to take two
>> symbol arguments which are geometries like this: 234+534+123+345
>
> replace the first "+" by an "x", so that you actually follow the
> syntax of
> X11 "geometries". However pd doesn't follow the X11 standard
> completely,
> as it doesn't accept 234x534-123-345 and such, which compute position
> from
> the bottom and/or righthand edge of the screen.
>
>> But when I try to send a message to a patch, I get "consistency check
>> failed:
>> canvas_relocate"
>
> canvas_relocate says that whenever you get any of its arguments wrong,
> which probably means that Miller doesn't want you to use it; but don't
> we
> all know what happens to features that Miller doesn't want us to use...
> ;-)

Ok, I can get Pd to accept the message without complaining, but I can't
get it to do anything yet.  I sent [relocate 50x50+400+400
40x40+500+500( and such messages.  I have a subpatch called PAGE2 and I
am sending the message to pd-PAGE2.

What I want to do is programmatically resize and relocation the window.
  I am assuming this is the way to do it.  Any other hints?

Oh yeah, also, I printed the messages from [tot], but I didn't see any
relocate messages.

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                                -William Carlos
Williams