[PD-dev] coloured patch cords

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 14 02:43:15 CET 2006

On Feb 13, 2006, at 4:40 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> A real diff -uw is much more useful since you just apply it with
>> patch,  no manual editing necessary.
>>
> I'm not experienced with automated patching, I suppose there would be
> three diff files, one for each source file (g_canvas.c,  g_editor.c
> and g_graph.c)? And what happens if someone else changes the source
> files in the interim?

Its quite easy if you use sources that are checked out from CVS.
Here's how you would do it:  first, check out the sources from CVS;
then make the changes in the source and compile it to make sure the
changes work; then to make the patch, run this command:

cvs diff -uw g_canvas.c g_editor.c g_graph.c > /path/to/my_patch.patch

then /path/to/my_patch.patch is the file.  If you make a patch using -u
format, then the program "patch" is actually quite good at handling
changes to the source file.  It will only choke if the exact same lines
are changed.

.hc

>> Also, this feature was around in 0.36-devel, but no one ever ported
>> it  forward.  I think it would be a nice preference to have.  The
>> default  color could be black, but you could set audio coords to be a
>> different  color if you wanted.  Also, it would be good to make the
>> lines  anti-aliased too.  On Mac OS X, the audio-rate lines are
>> already  anti-aliased.
>

> Currently it looks as though the audio rate lines are of width 2,
> maybe that's what makes them anti-aliased. Maybe all lines could be
> width 2 and the audio lines striped as in Max.
> --or selected lines could go to width+2 instead of changing colour,
> also as in Max.
> Ideally each line would have a colour field in its struct so the
> colour doesn't have to be recalculated, but that is a pd-wide
> adjustment. Also the method I used for determining the colour seems to
> give mostly dark brown and green lines, maybe a random colour would be
> better.
>
> Martin

____

            "The arc of history bends towards justice."
                                            - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.