[PD-dev] coloured patch cords

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Feb 14 09:25:12 CET 2006

Martin Peach wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> A real diff -uw is much more useful since you just apply it with
>> patch,  no manual editing necessary.
>>
> I'm not experienced with automated patching, I suppose there would be
> three diff files, one for each source file (g_canvas.c,  g_editor.c and
> g_graph.c)? And what happens if someone else changes the source files in
> the interim?

that's why you do a "unified" (that's the "-u" flag) diff: it gives you
(or the "patch"-program) a context where the changes appeared.
example:
original file:

modified file:
 0

a normal diff would say: in line 3 replace "c" by "0\nc"

now imagine somebody had changed the file beforehand to:
 1

now line3 reads "b", and thus the patch (which replaces the line3 "c" by
"0\nc") has to fail.

a unified diff would say: near line 3 insert "0" between the line
containing "b" and the line containing "c".
this patch can still be applied, even if "c" is now in line 4.

> Currently it looks as though the audio rate lines are of width 2, maybe
> that's what makes them anti-aliased. Maybe all lines could be width 2
> and the audio lines striped as in Max.
> --or selected lines could go to width+2 instead of changing colour, also
> as in Max.

personally i think that fat lines can be read better than striped ones.

i am not sure whether i would want all my chords have a different color.
i think that would add to the confusion rather than minimize it.
i would be quite content if signal and message chords can be separated,
e.g. because signal chords were red and message chords stay black (or
green, if you prefer that)

and of course i am not at all for "make it look like max" - but that's
just my personal feeling.

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes