[PD-dev] backporting [list]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Feb 19 16:21:24 CET 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> [list trim] gives me a symbol, altho there is this:
>     list_trim_class = class_new(gensym("list trim"),
>         (t_newmethod)list_trim_new, 0,
>         sizeof(t_list_trim), 0, 0);
>
> [list split] gives me a symbol, but [list split 4] works:
>     list_split_class = class_new(gensym("list split"),
>         (t_newmethod)list_split_new, 0,
>         sizeof(t_list_split), 0, A_DEFFLOAT, 0);
>
> But once it loads, then it works everywhere.  So you can just load it as a
> library, then it works fine.  So that's how its going to work...

I don't remember, did I say that the class names like "list trim" and
"list split" are bogus and that the sole thing that matter is the
constructor? [list] is not a class, it's a façade for the different
classes. Basically, all classes with a space inside their name can be
counted as anonymous, but there are funny ways to construct them using
[l2s] or [sprintf] and dynamic object creation.