[PD-dev] fink package

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Mon Feb 20 16:10:14 CET 2006

hey all,

On Feb 20, 2006, at 12:34 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2006, at 10:36 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> The Pd-extended build system is generalized enough that it should be
>>> relatively straightforward to do this.  The biggest thing to do
>>> would
>>> probably be making X11 a build option for Pd on Mac OS X,
>>> probably using
>>> a ./configure flag (--disable-aqua?)
>>
>> Wouldn't that instead be by reordering the priority of the INCLUDE
>> dirs?
>> depends on whether it's e.g. -ltcl -ltk in both TkAqua and TkX11, or
>> whether the options are different, e.g. -framework Tcl -framework
>> Tk in
>> one and -l in the other. If the options are the same then it
>> should be
>> just a matter of priority. But then the things from Fink either
>> have to be
>> bundled with pd (static linking or other) or else everyone must
>> run Fink,
>> right?
>
> A fink package would use fink dependencies, just like a Debian
> packages uses Debian dependencies.  Its a bigger problem than just
> which Tcl/Tk libs to compile against since in the source, #ifdef
> __APPLE__ and #ifdef MACOSX assume Tcl/Tk Aqua.

...I've actually had versions before that worked in X11 (while a/b
testing tcl/tk aqua changes), so it's not a really big deal, but a
bit bigger than just changing the linkage...the "hidden" problem to
be addressed is that I had switched from using the tcl/tk.framework's
to using fink's x11 tcl/tk, so it wound up using pd-gui like on
linux...this works fine for a command line version of pd-x11, which
is likely what a fink package would be...but we can probably do
better still ;-)

...recent versions of the tcl/tk.framework's actually include both
aqua AND x11 versions, so it's feasible to retain the app package of
pd-extended, but have it auto-launch x11 when needed (like gimp or
inkscape on osx)...this'll require some work, but will definitely be
a help while getting aqua tcl/tk up to snuff...

jamie