[PD-dev] time for svn?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 27 20:34:30 CET 2006

On Feb 27, 2006, at 1:53 PM, Thomas Grill wrote:

> Hi Hans-Christoph,
> i see. In fact, i turned off the automatic mirroring several months
> ago, so that the SF cvs is updated only when the respective project
> is under a buildable condition.

Whatever you want to call it, this is exactly what I am talking
about.  I didn't realize that you had stopped the mirroring.  I'd
just add that each time you send the files to the pure-data CVS, you
increment the version in some fashion.  Then it would be a release.

> Mirroring releasing only doesn't seem too good to me, since i don't
> release very often due to the work that is connected to preparing
> the packages. Fixes made in the meantime wouldn't be available for
> users in this case.

I don't mean that everyone should mirror the release schedule of Pd-
extended.  I mean that they should import only stable releases once
they are ready.  Then Pd-extended will be build with whatever is
there.  That seems to be the most manageable solution for now.

.hc

> greetings,
> Thomas
>> As far as I understand it, externals/grill is hosted in your
>> repository, and then every night, it is mirrored to pure-data
>> CVS.  I am saying instead of this setup, it would make more sense
>> to import the code from your repository only when you make a
>> release.  No one currently uses branches against externals/grill
>> to track changes to that area, so I see now benefit to having it
>> mirrored in pure-data CVS.
>>
>> Instead, if stable releases were in external/grill, then we would
>> not have to worry about various inevitable development hiccups
>> when building Pd-extended.  I think this would also work well with
>> Gem, PDP, and GridFlow, which are also managed in other repositories.
>>
>> .hc

>> _______
>>
>>  As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should
>> be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
>> ours; and this we should do freely and generously.
>>                                                   - Benjamin Franklin
>>

> --
> Thomas Grill
> http://grrrr.org