[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 27 20:52:39 CET 2006

On Feb 27, 2006, at 7:02 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>>> If you wanted to (in time), I would be willing to maintain a more
>>> complete set of DSSI plugins, but you may feel that this bloats PD-
>>> extended.....
>>
>> Sounds ok to me, especially if you can get them working on all three
>> platforms.  Just import the sources that you use into the pure-data
>> CVS, so others can easily build Pd-extended too without having to
>> download sources from a million different places.
>
> I'm *very much* against putting sources for DSSI or LADSPA or VST or
> whatever plugin into the pure-data CVS. To me it feels like trying to
> put every free audio software there is into a repository, that is
> intended to only hold Pd related stuff. For example we don't put the
> sources for the Snd editor in Pd-CVS, even when there is a
> snd-external, and we don't keep a duplicate copy of Csound just for
> csoundapi~. Or a Ubuntu-mirror, because some of us ...
>
> Lets try to focus on Pd stuff and not mirror the world.

I do agree with this sentiment for sure, but sometimes it makes sense
for us to import other code.  The best example is when there is no
release, like portaudio V19, or when there is no distribution set up
for a package.  I don't see a clear and easy distribution of DSSI
plugins, so it might make sense to include them in Pd-extended.  Many
audio programs include some plugins in the default install, like
Audacity, and commercial software.

fluidsynth is another example.  Its in Debian, but there is no easy
way to install it on either Mac OS X or Windows, only compiling from
source.

But it'll never make sense to include GTK, Glib, etc. since there are
very good distros for those on all platforms.

____

"Information wants to be free."
                                      -Stewart Brand