[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Feb 27 21:22:40 CET 2006

Hallo,

> I do agree with this sentiment for sure, but sometimes it makes sense
> for us to import other code.  The best example is when there is no
> release, like portaudio V19,

Portaudio is a crucial library to get Pd running in the first place,
so I see it as a different case. It also may be necessary to import
some source code to the CVS, if we need a very very specific version
of that code. Plugins however by definition are meant to be plugged in
as an extension, so it's not necessary to have any of them in the CVS,
IMO. We won't have all of them in our CVS anyway. Maybe we could
provide one or two simple DSSI/LADSPA plugins as examples, to allow
users to test the external, but everything else would only lead to
problems later.

> fluidsynth is another example.  Its in Debian, but there is no easy
> way to install it on either Mac OS X or Windows, only compiling from
> source.

Well, then lets compile it from source, but that's doesn't mean, that
it has to be duplicated into the Pd-CVS, we could use the source from
fluid's CVS at Savannah. It would complicate things if I would need to
track two versions of libfluidsynth for possible problems or updates
while maintaining the [fluid~] external. And no, I wouldn't want to
require people, who want to use fluid~, to install the special version
of fluidsynth that would be in Pd's CVS.

Ciao