[PD-dev] time for svn?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 28 07:37:12 CET 2006

On Feb 25, 2006, at 7:00 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Georg Holzmann hat gesagt: // Georg Holzmann wrote:
>
>> Hallo!
>>
>>> I wouldn't feel comfortable setting up the initial repos, but I
>>> can  do
>>> if no-one else (more experienced) is up for it.
>>
>> maybe this is a chance to reorganize the structure of the externals
>> +etc.
>> a little bit?
>
> I agree, that there should be a little cleanup going on, even as
> cleaning up in SVN is much easier than in CVS.
>
> For example I would vote for dropping "abstractions" and merging it
> with "externals" to become a single "extensions" tree.

I think that cleaning up is a good idea, but I think the conversion
is going to be complicated enough as it is.  So I propose that we
convert, then cleanup.

"abtractions", "extensions", and "externals" are pretty much
redundant, so one "extensions" directory would make sense, making it :

doc
extensions
pd
scripts

But I have to say, yes the CVS is messy, but it works more or less.
And it would take a lot of work to clean it up.  I'd rather have
svn's easier branching and merging before a cleaned up repository.
But if anyone wants to take on the cleanup project, I say go for it.

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore