[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 28 17:32:05 CET 2006

On Feb 28, 2006, at 2:31 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> CVS is a tool for managing source code,
>> which is what we would need to do in order to include fluidsynth and
>> DSSI plugins.  We don't need to make changes to the fluidsynth
>> source, that would indeed complicate things.  We would only import
>> stable versions known to work well with Pd.
>>
>> This is already happening in many places and I think it make good
>> sense here.  For example:
>>
>> externals/grill
>> GemLibs
>> externals/hcs/hid/linux/input.h
>> externals/hcs/hid/HID Utilities Source
>> externals/gridflow
>> externals/sc4pd/source
>> iemlib/src/iem_mp3
>
> I cannot find much that is not Pd-related there. flext is not
> importing sndobj and stk, gridflow is not mirroring Ruby, SC4Pd is not
> the same as Supercollider and Gem doesn't include Quicktime.

> Take for example the Csound repository: To build e.g. the
> fluidsynth-opcodes, Csound expects to find the fluidsynth sources or a
> symlink in a certain place. However the fluid-sources are not
> duplicated into the CVS, no parallel version of fluidsynth is created.
> Instead the package maker is responsible for doing so and if the
> sources aren't there, the opcodes will not be built.
>
> For dssi~ and fluid~ it's even easier, as the source code is never
> necessary to built these externals.

GemLibs is the perfect example.  Its a collection of useful libraries
which Gem uses.  That code is not pd-specific (FTGL, liborb,
particle, etc), but are third-party libraries.  But the gem devs
found it useful to manage that source code in CVS.

CVS is a useful tool for managing source code, whether its writing
code, or importing other people's code.  "cvs import" was expressly
designed to handle "tracking third-party sources".  apt-get, fink,
darwinports, etc. are better at managing libraries than CVS.  But
when such packages are not available, managing the source in CVS is
far better option than telling people to download a tarball and compile.

And it comes down to this: what harm is there to importing the sources?

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore