[PD-dev] d_soundfile.c MAXBUFSIZE

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Thu Mar 2 18:24:35 CET 2006

On 28 Feb 2006, at 18:29, Miller Puckette wrote:

> On some OSes (I needn't name names:) the system can hang if one asks
> to malloc too much space.  This was a major cause of headaches for
> people trying to use Pd to read large soundfiles.  Anyway, as you
> already
> found, this doesn't affect the "soundfiler" object which has a
> settable
> maximum.

Thank you for that clarification. I understand the original
limitation now.

However, I am wondering whether it wouldn't be better to pre-empt
large soundfile loading, as opposed to making people who need to use
large soundfile arrays use custom compilation?

Just a thought, I realise there's history at play here.

David Plans Casal
Researcher, UEA Studios
d.casal at uea dot ac dot uk
http://www.davidcasal.com