[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Mar 3 08:33:11 CET 2006

Hallo,
> On Debian, which IIRC both Frank and you use, there are tons of deps
> that are handled by apt-get.  That is far from true on Mac OS X, and
> worse on Windows.  Building on all platforms means managing other
> people's source code.  CVS is an excellent tool for groups of people
> to manage source code.  Its far better than not managing it.

We are talking about two different things: One is dependencies to
build Pd and externals, the other is extensions like the dssi, vst,
ladspa plugins or even foreign applictions like fluidsynth, Snd and
Csound. I think we should currently only discuss the latter, plugins
and apps, as the subject is dssi~.

I'm against managing foreign plugins or apps in the Pd CVS. With an
open application like Pd, where an external can be made to load
*everything*, there just is no stopping point, once we start to do
this.

For example as we have pyext, we now might consider to add Python to
the CVS, so that people can load python scripts, and we may consider
to add 3rd party Python libraries, because some python scripts rely on
them, to the CVS which in turn might rely on C-libraries, that will be
added etc. Without clear rules and without drawing a line at some
point this will never stop.

dssi/ladspa/vst in my view are way beyond that line from the start.

Ciao