[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 5 02:52:44 CET 2006

On Mar 4, 2006, at 8:20 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>> that is also my point of view.
>>> There should be no resources in the CVS that can be aquired
>>> elsewhere.
>>
>> right ... if one would want to automate a build process, it can
>> easily
>> be done by adding the command to acquire the resources to the build
>> system ... (doing that with scons seems to be trivial)
>
> There is one major caveat to doing that:  it will not work at all
> with the Debian auto-builders.  No network access allowed.
>
> I still see no reason why we should not use CVS to manage "foreign"
> sources.  We already are in a lot of places and it works quite
> well.  We need to use a lot of code that is far from released in
> building Pd.  That means we have to manage source code.  CVS is a
> good tool for managing source code, we all know how to use it,
> (many of us don't use python or scons at all), and even has built-
> in support for managing foreign sources.  Check out the "Tracking
> Third-Party Sources" section in the CVS manual:
>
> http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.12.13/cvs_13.html#SEC106
>
> Really it comes down to this: How are you guys harmed if I choose
> to manage some "foreign" sources in the Pd CVS?

I forgot to add two things:

first, I really don't see why this is such a contentious issue.  I
have no interest in pissing anyone off, so please forgive me if it
may come across like that.  Its just that I have spend far and away
the most time working on making Pd into installer packages, and not
using CVS for foreign sources would make it A LOT more work to build
and maintain Pd and all the externals.

Second, if we were to remove foreign sources, here are some of the
things we would have to remove and track separately:

externals/sc4pd/source
    (SuperCollider is maintained elsewhere)
externals/grill
     (maintained in a separate repository with separate binary releases)
externals/hcs/hid/linux/input.h
     (Linux header, should Mac OS X and Windows users have to track
this one?)
externals/hcs/hid/HID Utilities Source
     (Apple sources)
externals/gridflow
     (maintained and released elsewhere)
externals/OSCx/libOSC
     (library from UC Berkeley)
externals/iemlib/src/iem_mp3
     (uses source files from lame)
pd/portaudio
     (V19 is still very much under development, no releases, big
changes)
pd/portmidi

Would we be better off if we removed all these?  What I am saying we
do is what Thomas currently does with his externals/grill directory:
import sources which are known to build and work.  No one is saying
we should include GTK or something like that.  But for things that
are under development and/or have no releases, CVS is a good tool to
manage those sources.  This is standard practice, and indeed, CVS is
designed to do this.

Plus with changing sources, we can import sources that we know work
with Pd instead of having the whole Pd build system break whenever
some developer on portaudio, libOSC, etc. etc. makes a change.  This
will make bugs much easier to track since we'll know which version of
a given library (like portaudio) works well with Pd.

____

"I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have
three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their
minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits."
                                             - Martin Luther King, Jr.