[PD-dev] getting started at PD Dev in VS.net

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 5 05:48:08 CET 2006

On Mar 3, 2006, at 3:47 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Conor wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> Are there any instructions anywhere on how to set up a development
>> environment for PD. I wish to development externals. Should I need
>> to compile the full PD project or should I merely link to the pre
>> existing libs/dll's. I don't have that much experience digging
>> through makefiles hence I don't want to spend my weekend at
>> that ;) I was hoping to develop using visual studio.net.
>> Any  instructions would be most welcome.
>
> Briefly, you create an empty project to build a console app without
> any precompiled header, then you set it to make a dll. You need to
> include m_pd.h from the pd source and you link against pd.lib which
> is in pd/bin. Your setup function has to be declared __declspec
> (dllexport).
> http://iem.at/pd/externals-HOWTO/ explains most of the rest.

You will probably be better off using MinGW rather than VS.net.  A
lot of stuff does not compile with Visual Studio, but almost
everything compiles with MinGW.  Plus there is a relatively detailed
HOWTO on how to set up your MinGW environment:

http://puredata.org/docs/developer/mingw

You should look around the developer docs as well, there is a lot of
useful info there.

http://puredata.org/docs/developer/

____

publicity.