[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 5 17:50:59 CET 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 5:42 AM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 20:20 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> right ... if one would want to automate a build process, it can
>> easily
>>> be done by adding the command to acquire the resources to the build
>>> system ... (doing that with scons seems to be trivial)
>>
>> There is one major caveat to doing that:  it will not work at all
>> with the Debian auto-builders.  No network access allowed.
>
> having no idea about the debian auto-builders (gentoo ebuilds rely on
> network access), i'd then suggest a simple script in the language of
> your choice to set up the builder environment
>
> - check out the pd sources from sf
> - check out the revision controlled sources (e.g. portaudio) by tag,
> branch or date
> - download the tarballs of the released sources from the web
>
> this way you can be sure, to have the latest pd sources and the
> external
> sources, that you consider as stable, i guess, that's what you want,
> isn't it?
> but then the one, who decides, which version/tag/branch/date to use
> (which would apply to both ways) should check the bug reports with
> upstream, to avoid duplicate work ...
>
> nevertheless ... from what i understand, you are not working on
> devel so
> i guess, we're working on different sources anyway ... so do what you
> think it's right ... i think the last few monthes have shown, that we
> won't agree on this topic ...

This isn't just about the "pd" part of the repository, but all of
it.  We all use "externals".  I have nothing against pd-devel, but
there are so many changes which make it hard to work with in terms of
a build system (like moving configure from pd/src/ to pd) that I
didn't want to devote the time to a whole other mess of build system
issues.  Regular pd has enough of those issues for a lifetime.  Its
sad that we are generating more issues rather than working together
to fix them.

As for the simple script to set up the build environment, I choose to
use a script called "cvs".  It works really well for managing source
code, its widely understood and used, and it very stable and mature.

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
						        				-A.J. Muste