[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Mar 6 00:02:58 CET 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 1:50 PM, cdr wrote:

>> Yes, and Debian is great for that.  So the debian packages would not
>> have to include them.
>>
>> But Pd also runs on Windows and Mac OS X.  And there are far more Pd
>> users running Windows and Mac OS X.  So I think its also important to
>> consider other platforms when we are talking about such things.
>
> its already very easy to install anything on mac os X:
>       1 search the web
>       2 click into site for the software you want
>       3 click 'download' tab
>       4 click download link
>       5 click 'download now' so you dont have to wait 12 seconds
>       6 minimize all windows
>       7 find the compressed disk image on your desktop
>       8 uncompress the disk image
>       9 mount the disk image
>       10 open up the folder on disk where you want to put it
>       11 copy stuff off the disk image
>       12 unmount the disk image
>       13 delete disk image and compressed disk image
>       14 run the app (and hope it works on 10.4.5 or maybe 10.3.1
> instead of just 10.4.69)
>       15 enjoy!

When something is already packaged up like you outline above, then
yes, I totally agree we should not be managing the source.  We should
use the packages.  Python, GTK, and Jack are perfect examples of that.

But Fluidsynth and DSSI plugins are only available as source from the
original website (I guess you could probably dig up some binaries,
but that digging would be part of the problem...).  That's when it
makes sense to manage the foreign code in CVS.

____

                                                               -
Eldridge Cleaver