[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Mar 6 00:05:30 CET 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 2:07 PM, cdr wrote:

> On Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 06:50:25PM +0000, cdr wrote:
>>> Yes, and Debian is great for that.  So the debian packages would not
>>> have to include them.
>>>
>>> But Pd also runs on Windows and Mac OS X.  And there are far more Pd
>>> users running Windows and Mac OS X.  So I think its also
>>> important to
>>> consider other platforms when we are talking about such things.
>>
>> its already very easy to install anything on mac os X:
>>       1 search the web
>>       2 click into site for the software you want
>>       3 click 'download' tab
>>       4 click download link
>>       5 click 'download now' so you dont have to wait 12 seconds
>>       6 minimize all windows
>>       7 find the compressed disk image on your desktop
>>       8 uncompress the disk image
>>       9 mount the disk image
>>       10 open up the folder on disk where you want to put it
>>       11 copy stuff off the disk image
>>       12 unmount the disk image
>>       13 delete disk image and compressed disk image
>>       14 run the app (and hope it works on 10.4.5 or maybe 10.3.1
>> instead of just 10.4.69)
>
> woops, forgot
>        14.5 foreach dependency {goto 1}
>        16 Pay $35 for the program that lets you drag stuff from
> safari to the desktop so it stops popping up shareware warnings
>
> anyways im sure an interesting afternoon project would be to
> recreate portage's 'SVN/CVS ebuild' feature in pd-extended's
> autotools scripts.  so it could automagicaly download the deps like
> LADSPA/FluidSynth/PA19 for MacOSX and MinGW users who dont have
> such capabilities innate in their OS..

Don't let me stop you from doing that.

But (unfortunately?), Pd-extended doesn't use autotools, only make.
It think it would be really great to have one central externals/
configure which makes a externals/config.h which externals would then
use.  Then people would not have to figure out autotools to use it,
they would just need to #include "../config.h" and use #ifdef
HAVE_BLAHBLAH.

____

"Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy
is related to the telescope."
                                                           -Edsger
Dykstra