[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Mar 6 00:15:52 CET 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Regular pd has enough of those issues for a lifetime.  Its  sad that
>> we are generating more issues rather than working together  to fix
>> them.
>
> That actually is the point why I am not in favour of putting foreign
> sources in the Pd CVS: They would require additional work in setting
> up build systems, keeping them up to date etc. Especially when totally
> separate stuff like plugins in DSSI, LADSPA or VST formats is
> concerned, I'm still not convinced why we should bother with including
> them. As I wrote several mails ago: By definition these are meant to
> be plugged in and not to be included. That's the whole point of a
> plugin format and the beauty of LADSPA, DSSI.
>
> I'm not so strictly against keeping some libraries to link against in
> some clearly seperate tree of the Pd CVS. I don't think, it's a good
> idea, but I can also understand your point that it may make packaging
> easier on some operating systems in the end and if it's in a totally
> different tree it may not do any harm.
>
> But plugins IMO should be a no-go area, not only for source code, but
> also for binary installer packages. The DSSI people may start their
> own binary packaging system, but that really is none of our business.
> And including fluidsynth just because we would want to build the
> fluidsynth-dssi-plugin is even worse. Additionally we would also
> need to
> include some more sources, as that are used by fluid-dssi, like the
> ALSA headers or a compat. library and more. This won't stop.
>
> All this of course is just IMO.

On GNU/Linux, I totally agree.  But its much more difficult on
Windows and Mac OS X.  On Debian, for example, its quite easy to
setup a build system and install dependencies.  On Mac OS X, its not
too hard to get the basics going, but Fink isn't dead simple.  On
Windows its a lot harder.

My goal is to get as much code working in the installer as possible.
That's why I want to include these plugins.  They sound quite useful,
but they would be very difficult to install for most users.

So yes, its painful from the Debian perspective, and its not the way
I would prefer to do things, but its a matter of getting things
working for people.

____

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.
                                             - General Smedley Butler