portaudio link troubles WAS Re: [PD-dev] Pd-extended build missing headers?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Mar 10 04:55:56 CET 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:24 AM, David Plans Casal wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2006, at 21:24, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> You need to download portaudio V19 and get the missing files from
>> there.  Miller forgot to check them in, and he's been too busy to
>> get to it.
>
> Hmm it's not going all that well. V19 is available in CVS or
> snapshot only. I downloaded pa_snapshot_v19.tar.gz and after
> copying file by file for a bit, just substituted the 'portaudio'
> entirely. That worked well (e.g. compilation proceeded), and I saw
> compilation scroll for the darwin_app package.
>
> However, it stops here:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol
> _RingBuffer_AdvanceReadIndex
> s_audio_paring.o definition of _RingBuffer_AdvanceReadIndex in
> section (__TEXT,__text)
>
> So. Linking problems? Is LD just playing with me?
>
> I can't find anything that would've gotten mixed up, but I'll start
> from a fresh cvs checkout if I need to.
>
> Hans?

I haven't seen this error, maybe that's caused by a newer version of
portaudio V19?  Maybe its related to the fix that Thomas recently
announced, where Pd has the same function names as portaudio in some
places.

This is not specific to Pd-extended but anyone trying to build Pd
from Miller's sources.

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
						        				-A.J. Muste