portaudio link troubles WAS Re: [PD-dev] Pd-extended build missing headers?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Mar 13 20:31:22 CET 2006

David Plans Casal wrote:

> On 10 Mar 2006, at 12:38, David Plans Casal wrote:
>
>>> and report back :-)
>>

>> Private Darwin reporting ;-)
>>
>> /Users/dc/dev/pure-data/packages/darwin_app/../../externals/loaders/
>> import.c:27: error: too few arguments to function ‘sys_load_lib’
>> <snip>
>> Anyone? No idea what that loader does, even.
>

> Is it just me, or does this mean packages/darwin_app compilation is
> broken?

The Pd-extended stuff usually relies on patches to the Pd core.  These
patches are then submitted to Miller, which he mostly has been
accepting.  The patches which you need to apply vary based on which
version you are trying to compile.

Right now, if you go to "packages/"  and run "make patch_pd", it will
apply the patches needed for 0.39.2.  If you are using the latest
version in CVS, then a lot of these patches are already included, and
then you'll have to include a couple patches by hand.

For example, import.c relies on packages/patches/libdir-0.38-4.patch,
which should apply cleanly to both 0.39.2 and the latest in CVS.

Also, as a rule of thumb when trying to build the whole Pd-extended
package, just remove the offending file and it will then continue
building from there.  So in this case, if you "rm
externals/loaders/import.c", it will continue building.

Also, I find it easier to build "externals" first to find these
problems, then when you can get a clean build from "externals", then try
  packages/darwin_app.  So just "cd externals && make"  then when that
works, "cd ../packages/darwin_app && make install".