[PD-dev] "imports" section of CVS

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Mar 14 11:42:25 CET 2006

Hallo,
David Plans Casal hat gesagt: // David Plans Casal wrote:

> I don't necessarily agree with that. Perhaps 'imports' isn't the
> right word, but the fact that a library isn't required to run Pd at
> all might not be a good enough reason not to include it in an
> extended build system, especially if it is kept completely apart from
> the main tree.

But we're not talking about libraries here at all, we're talking about
complete applications now! Would you consider packaging Pd with
Firefox, just because a browser is needed to read the manual? I guess
you wouldn't, and not only because Firefox is a huge application, but
also because Firefox has a life outside of Pd and because it is useful
on many other occasions as well and there's nothing Pd-specific about
Firefox.

That is *exactly* the situation with LADSPA, VST or DSSI plugins: They
have a seperate life outside of Pd. Pd is just one of a dozen (dssi)
or many dozens (LADSPA, VST) host applications for these plugins. If
someone wants binary packages of dssi plugin/apps, then instead of
putting (and in fact hiding) them in a Pd CVS or in a Pd binary
installer package, much more is gained by getting involved with the
dssi-team and help them do proper releases for all supported operating
systems. But - repeating myself form the umpteenth time - this has
nothing to do with Pd.

Ciao