[PD-dev] "imports" section of CVS

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 14 13:00:21 CET 2006

David Plans Casal wrote:

>> still, why not just write a small script to pull the external sources
>> from upstream? (ftp, cvs, svn or whatever)
>

> I would rather see that too, of course. Has hc not explained why he -
> isn't- doing that already?

iirc, the main argument against this is, that debian does not allow to
fetch additional "helper" sources from the net.

hc's other point is, that making these sources available in the CVS, is
necessary because people not using debian have a hard time getting these
sources.

my conclusion is: on systems that have a reasonable package-manager
(like debian) use that one; on systems that don't, use the checkout-scripts.
so, i don't see a realy conflict here (meaning: i don't see a reason to
_not_ use checkout scripts)

afaik, debian's policy generally doesn't really like to use sources
directly from CVS (i might be wrong here, though).
therefore, for using pd-extended for debian builds, a "source-ball"
should be done anyhow (e.g. via a monthly script). this source-ball
could then include all the (hard) dependencies that cannot be expected
to come with your distro/OS.

i totally agree with frank, that the pd-cvs should not become a place to
host dssi-plugins.
i also feel towards tim, that projects available otherwise (esp. if they
are hosted on sourceforge - which pretty much guarantees their
availability, even if the connection is often beyond discussion) should
not be incorporated.

however, i think there might be one simple solution: urge the
sourceforge staff, that they make /cvsroot/ available as CVSROOT;
this way, you could do a:
"cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net/cvsroot co ."
and fetch the world (or use some modified command, to only get the
relevant parts)

mfg.a.dsr.
IOhannes