[PD-dev] Building Pd-extended OSX

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Tue Mar 14 16:18:17 CET 2006

On 13 Mar 2006, at 19:31, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> The Pd-extended stuff usually relies on patches to the Pd core.
> These patches are then submitted to Miller, which he mostly has
> been accepting.  The patches which you need to apply vary based on
> which version you are trying to compile.
>
> Right now, if you go to "packages/"  and run "make patch_pd", it
> will apply the patches needed for 0.39.2.  If you are using the
> latest version in CVS, then a lot of these patches are already
> included, and then you'll have to include a couple patches by hand.

cvs update -d -P is my friend ;-)

could you point at the patches I should have to apply by hand?

> For example, import.c relies on packages/patches/
> libdir-0.38-4.patch, which should apply cleanly to both 0.39.2 and
> the latest in CVS.

ok oh I see. Well I just removed import.c, as you point out below.
> Also, as a rule of thumb when trying to build the whole Pd-extended
> package, just remove the offending file and it will then continue
> building from there.  So in this case, if you "rm externals/loaders/
> import.c", it will continue building
> Also, I find it easier to build "externals" first to find these
> problems, then when you can get a clean build from "externals",
> then try  packages/darwin_app.  So just "cd externals && make"
> then when that works, "cd ../packages/darwin_app && make install".

thanks, that's very helpful actually!

but, could you point out what you do about 'broken' externals
compilation, such as this (which happens on latest checkout):

/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (/Users/dc/dev/pure-data/
externals/../externals/hcs/hid/HID Utilities Source/build) does not
exist
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lHIDUtilities
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [/Users/dc/dev/pure-data/externals/../externals/hcs/hid/
hid.pd_darwin] Error 1

When it tries to compile hid?

I can see it's makefile tests for existing of the build directory and
libHIDUtilities.a in there here:

hid_utilities:
	test -f ./HID\ Utilities\ Source/build/libHIDUtilities.a || \
		( cd  ./HID\ Utilities\ Source && pbxbuild )

I mean so far, I've had to remove markex, speex (wanted lame, I
didn't want to bother), and now I should have to remove hid, but it
seems like a pity, because I'm going to need hid soon, so I'll just
end up there again.

Do you usually remove whatever won' t compile?

David Casal
Researcher, Department of Computing
Goldsmiths College, University of London
Office : +44 020 7078 5151
Mob   : +44 07803 173959