[PD-dev] "imports" section of CVS

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 19 01:06:20 CET 2006

On Mar 14, 2006, at 6:04 AM, David Plans Casal wrote:

> On 14 Mar 2006, at 11:00, Tim Blechmann wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 10:20 +0000, David Plans Casal wrote:
>>> I don't necessarily agree with that. Perhaps 'imports' isn't the
>>> right word, but the fact that a library isn't required to run Pd at
>>> all might not be a good enough reason not to include it in an
>>> extended build system, especially if it is kept completely apart
>>> from
>>> the main tree.
>>
>> still, why not just write a small script to pull the external sources
>> from upstream? (ftp, cvs, svn or whatever)
>
> I would rather see that too, of course. Has hc not explained why he
> -isn't- doing that already?

Its been discussed quite a bit.  There are many reasons:

- Debian auto-builders don't allow network access

- CVS is a far better system for managing code than any script we'll
write

- "cvs import" is designed for exactly this purpose

- when using dev libraries, like portaudio, etc, its good that we
know which version to compile against, since sometimes Pd will only
work with a very specific version, which often isn't marked by
anything but a CVS commit date.

and more...

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
						        				-A.J. Muste