[PD-dev] "imports" section of CVS

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 19 01:11:54 CET 2006

On Mar 13, 2006, at 6:15 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> A good example would be the DSSI stuff.  The fluidsynth plugin code
>> would be in "imports" and the Windows and Mac OS X parts of the
>> Makefile
>> would include the source code in imports.  The GNU/Linux part
>> would look
>> in the standard system locations for that stuff.
>
> Well, I guess I misunderstood what should go in imports, and maybe I
> do have objections: I thought, "imports" was to be intended for
> libraries, that are required by Pd externals and maybe Pd itself, but
> not for standalone applications independent from Pd, as the DSSI
> plugins are? The DSSI folks have their own Sourceforge project, they
> have their own release system, and their applications are not required
> to run Pd at all.
>
> I'm still against packaging DSSI, LADSPA or VST plugins with Pd. If
> the DSSI folks or Steinberg need help to provide binary plugins, then
> that doesn't concern Pd and thus doesn't belong in the Pd CVS, IMO.
> Everyone may feel free to give them a hand at ladspa.org or
> dssi.sf.net but this has got nothing to do with Pd.

I give up on the plugin issue.

Without including them as binaries, only a handful of people who are
willing to spend a day figuring out how to compile them will ever use
them.  For the thousands of Pd users who just want to make art, they
will not use the DSSI plugins.

I guess in a couple years, there will be some DSSI packages for
people to use...

____

publicity.

                       - Bill Moyers