[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 19 03:52:20 CET 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> What I don't understand with this whole thread is how is anyone
>> harmed if the plugin source code is included?  Ok, in theory, its a
>> plugin and meant to be standalone, but in practice its just a piece
>> of code like any other.
>
> But if it is so important to have working dssi/ladspa packages on all
> supported operating systems, then why not give their developers the
> same support at their respective sites? If these plugins are only
> available in pd-extended packages, then someone, who wants to run them
> e.g. in a OS-X Ardour installation has no use for them and surely
> wouldn't even know, that pd-extended includes a full set of dssi
> plugins.
>
> OTOH if there were working standalone DSSI packages for OS-X on
> dssi.sf.net then both Ardour and Pd would profit from them and many
> other applications as well.  With LADSPA on Linux this already is
> working very well: A lot of applications can use the plugins packages,
> that are installed distro-wide through a LADSPA package. Bugs in the
> plugins can be fixed right on site, there are no problems coming from
> differing versions installed in different direcories, there always is
> the same central place for the newest version, that even would be a
> drop-in replacement etc.

That would be the desired outcome.  I encourage anyone to take it on.

There are only so many hours in the day.  I deal with Pd's build
system and releases enough, I really don't want to take on more.
Adding this stuff to Pd's build system would be pretty easy.
Learning all of the social rules, build system, and coding of another
project is a very large undertaking.

On this note, why are there so many versions of Pd released?  Why are
there so many build systems?  Shouldn't we all be working on one
system so that we can all benefit from an easier and less buggy build
system, and well as Pd releases?

____

publicity.

                       - Bill Moyers