[PD-dev] "imports" section of CVS

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 19 06:54:21 CET 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 7:38 PM, cdr wrote:

>> - Debian auto-builders don't allow network access
>>
>> - CVS is a far better system for managing code than any script we'll
>> write
>>
>> - "cvs import" is designed for exactly this purpose
>
> CVS requires network access. so youre saying at some point in time
> a snapshot is made, and then uploadedd into debians 'non-networked
> tarball motherbrain' or something? why couldnt portaudio just be
> included at that step?

I don't know the details of how it all works.  But basically you
upload a tarball, and yes, stuff could be dynamically downloaded and
put into a tarball.

But that is avoiding the bigger issue, and that is that if we are
going to be tracking dev software, like portaudio V19, almost all of
the devs are going to want to avoid tracking daily changes in those
projects.  I really don't want to have to debug portaudio when I am
trying to debug Pd.

Standard practice in this regard is to then "cvs import" the external
dev code into your repository once you get a version that is working
for you.  If a given project was making releases, then we could do
that.  But for something like portaudio V19, there are no releases.

Nothing is stopping all y'all from writing this scripting system.  Go
for it.  Just keep the imported code in CVS for the rest of us.

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                                -William Carlos
Williams