[PD-dev] questions regarding externals-buildlayout (esp. with HID)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 19 20:45:37 CET 2006

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> hi all.
>
> 2 questions about the layout of HID in cvs, and 1 about the buildlayout
> in general.
>
> 1) is it really necessary that the build-system of HID relies on finding
>  ../../../packages/Makefile.buildlayout?
> i usually don't have the entire pd-cvstree lying around on a system,
> which gives a lot of extra work to build this external.
> i see the use of central Makefiles which are used for one single
> configuration for everything, however i would prefer this to be an
> option (like in optional).
> would it be possible to include Makefile.buildlayout only if it existed
>  (with "-include ../../../packages/Makefile.buildlayout")?
> in order to get it right even with that file missing, this would
> probably involve to have a fallback copy of it in the local directory
> (hear hear!)

That's how Pd-extended build is structured. Makefile.buildlayout is not
optional.  That saves a lot of work.  Its already enough work just
trying to get Pd-extended to build, there are definitely not enough
hours in the day to support every variation on the directory setup.
Disk space is cheap, it will save us all a lot of time if we use the
same layout:

http://puredata.org/docs/developer/devlayout

Yes, Pd-extended is not trivial to build, and yes there are downsides,
its a huge thing, and there are so many different build systems, its
quite a mess.  But there are binaries for the big three platforms, so
you don't have to build it if you just need some objects.

But it is all documented:

http://puredata.org/docs/developer

or more specifically:

http://puredata.org/docs/developer/devlayout
http://puredata.org/docs/developer/build
http://puredata.org/docs/developer/Debian
http://puredata.org/docs/developer/darwin
http://puredata.org/docs/developer/mingw

also related:
http://puredata.org/docs/developer/Libdir

> 2) directories with spaces! would it be ok if i filed a
> sourceforge-request to change this to "HID_Utilities_Source"?

That directory is a direct import of Apple's code, I certainly wouldn't
have done that.  It should not be modified for cosmetic reasons, it
works as is.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

> more serious:
>
> 3) is the use of "find" considered cross-platform enough to replace the
> */*/*.../*.bak constructs in Makefile.buildlayout?
> and is the use of the rm's "-r" flag cross-platform? this would simplify
> a lot of clean-targets in Makefile.buildlayout.

Works on MinGW, any Mac OS X, and any UNIX.  That's enough for me.  I
don't support MSVS, anyone else is welcome to do that work, I will never
do it.

.hc