[PD-dev] under_scores versus studlyCaps in object names

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 26 16:59:44 CEST 2006

On Mar 26, 2006, at 2:51 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Should we make the new Pd libraries use capsAsTheStandardNameFormat?
>
> This can be a problem with operating systems not being able to know
> and uppercase from a lowercase letter.

Both NTFS and HFS are case-preserving but not case-sensitive.  So
while both filesystems will store and display the correct caps, you'd
be able to use any kind of caps in object boxes and it would work.

So yes, it would cause problems if people don't write the correct
caps, but that's already a problem.  For example. pixelTANGO uses an
object called [stripPath], but [strippath] exists first in the path.
So when using [stripPath], Pd tried to load [strippath] first, but
its a C object, and C is case-sensitive, so Pd couldn't find the
symbol _stripPath_setup.  It then fails, and then opens stripPath.pd.

____

            "The arc of history bends towards justice."
                                            - Dr. Martin Luther King,
Jr.