[PD-dev] weird bug: dot in comment disappears

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Mar 30 22:42:23 CEST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Right... I forgot about this.  This is probably related to Pd not having a
> string type...

Yeah, comments are parsed by pd exactly like objectboxes. it's just that
no actual object is instantiated (binbuf_eval is not called). That was
necessary to avoid having to introduce strings in pd and/or making a
special case for comments.

For Miller it was important to have a stupid typesystem. Now, if you load
20 abstractions with 20 comments/abstr with 20 words/comment, then you may
have up to 20*20*20=8000 new symbols in the symboltable, that have no
purpose whatsoever at actual execution.