[PD-dev] Re: pixelTANGO & pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Mar 31 04:23:00 CEST 2006

On Mar 30, 2006, at 5:52 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> Hey Hans,
>
> So I've removed pixelTANGO's dependancy on pyext. I've converted
> pt.layerfx and pt.filelist to be pd-extended happy. I just need to do
> pt.entry and we should be good shape.

Just so people know, I am not secretly plotting the demise of
pyext ;).  Its just that its been crashing on instantiation with Pd-
extended and I've never used Python, so I wouldn't know where to
start debugging.  So in the interest in getting pixelTANGO into Pd-
extended, I helped Ben port to existing C objects + [folder_list].

> pt.entry needs to know where the fonts are installed, so thats why I'm
> bringing this up on pd-dev.
>
> I could put fonts in extra/pixeltango/fonts, and make the abstraction
> reflect that, but since the fonts are just ttf and therefore shared by
> Gem and perhaps other apps to it makes sense to move these into a more
> general location.
>
> #1. Where to put them?
>
> #2. How to access them from inside a pd patch? (using getdir)
>
> If they are in extra/fonts looks like we can get at them from an
> abstraction with this:
>
> [bang<
> [getdir]
> [makesymbol %s/../../fonts/*]
>
> Or any brilliant ideas about finding the system fonts in a standard
> way
> that works accross all platforms?

That [makesymbol] trick would work, though you might want to use
[makefilename] since its Pd-core ([makesymbol] is more flexible and
appropriately named tho).

I think it would be worth a little research to see how hard it would
be to use the system path.  I guess the tricky part would be know
which platform you are on.  Perhaps its time for a [uname] object.

Then you'd just have it bang a message with the path based on the
[uname] output.  [folder_list] can interpret Windows env vars, so
this should give you the Font dir on any Windows box:

[symbol %systemroot%/fonts(

[folder_list]

It would be nice to have UNIX env vars too, but I haven't found an
easy way to do that yet.

> Hans, I can't commit my changes for some reason,
> cvs.sourceforge.net is
> not accepting connections, I'll keep trying..

Yeah, its been down it seems...

http://sitedocs.sourceforge.net/status/support_sitestatus.html

Time to switch to SVN?  ;)

____

it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it."
                                                        - Thomas
Jefferson