[PD-dev] Re: [PD] [folder_list]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Mar 31 07:55:06 CEST 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 12:36 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> There are two reasons that I made it output each file separately.
>> First, to make it similar in interface to [qlist] and [textfile].
>> Next, and more importantly, most file processing is going to happen
>> on a per-file basis, at least in my scripting experience.  For
>> example, you might want to step thru a list of files and test which
>> is bigger than 1MB, or which is a directory.
>
> I have directories with very many files (like $HOME with all it's
> dotfiles. Building a list of all names would generate a huge list. I
> think it's better to output them sequentially instead of making this
> huge list.
>
>> But yes, the completion bang should be added, and is planned...  then
>> it would work really well with an [until].
>
> Agreed.
>
> For making a list out of the names, you can just use: [list]X[t a] in
> Pd. Using [list]--- filter somehow---X[t a] this could filter out
> unwanted filenames prior to building the list.

[folder_list] is based on glob, so it supports full UNIX file
globbing on UNIX platforms.  (On Windows, its supports Windows
wildcard patterns, which are not as nice, IMHO, and not always
compatible).

So go nuts with your ? and * and [ab] when using [folder_list].  If
you wanting the patch to run on Windows too, then don't use ?, *,
etc. to match multiple directories, and you should be alright.

But its always good to have multiple methods... :)

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
                                               -David Zicarelli