[PD-dev] file library WAS: [folder_list]

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Apr 1 20:03:54 CEST 2006

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>

>>using python/ruby/bash would make pd significantly more --useless--: the
>>stdlib should at least as portable as pd itself.
>

> name an OS that pd runs on but that python/ruby/bash doesn't...
>
> then find another reason to not use any of those three.

name an architecture that pd runs but linux doesn't.
then find another reason to not use linux.

btw, of course we forgot tcl which is already available on any machine
running pd.

BUT:

i would hate to have to run my pd-patch through (e.g.) python on a
system with very limited ressources (e.g. my pda).

i do think that many institutions would refrain from using the "stdlib"
if it would have a dependency on something like that.

at our institute we are often heading for low latencies.
convincing your boss that any scripting engine will not make the
system's response time higher is very likely a hard task. (even if I was
convinced - which i am not)
not to speak of the students working on their projects and diplomas.

in reality, the achieved latency is always to large - so workarounds
have to be found to lower it. i am pretty sure that the 1st thing that
would be thrown out, is anything that is not written in C.

i think this is a (too) high price

mf.asd.r
IOhannes